Pakistan’s tour to Australia 2009-2010 has been one of the worst nightmares for a Pakistan cricket fan. Australian teams and pitches have never been kind to Pakistani teams before and Pakistani teams have lost with brilliant players in their line-up however this team takes the cake. They have accomplished what no team has done before and that is a white wash. If the score line reads 3-0 at the end of the test series and 5-0 at the end of the ODI series then you know that some thing is terribly wrong as this Australian side does not have the services of its core genius (Gilchrist, Waugh brothers, McGrath, Warne, Hayden, Langer, and Martyn) which has devastated teams all over the world.
Losing a won test in Sydney and the way the batsmen capitulated on not so quick and bouncy wickets is a sign that either batsmen don’t have the guts to play at this level or they have some psychological fear of Aussie bowlers. Whatever it is I hope that we get rid of this syndrome and plan for the future as these players don’t have the mental strength to win against good teams.
What I have seen on this tour is
1. Muhammed Yousuf is a very defensive captain however I think he must be given a second chance and see how he performs in England. He is a good player and I know he can bounce back.
2. Fahad Iqbal should be dropped altogether from the team. I don’t know why he is picked at all. He does not have any footwork at all. Most of all he is never set even after spending time on the wicket.
3. Misbah ul Haq should take retirement and be thankful for the opportunity to play for Pakistan at his age for the time he has been able to represent Pakistan. A brilliant T20 World Cup in 2007 however it has all fallen apart after that.
4. Muhammed Sami should be part of the team. He was only allowed one test in Sydney and then he was sent back which is very unfair. He looks quite a changed player and more mature. He is captaining a domestic team in Pakistan and he is also performing with the ball. He should be part of the team for the next 2-3 years.
5. We must groom Sarfraz Ahmed and other wicket keepers along with Kamran Akmal as he has become a nuisance now. I remember India dropped Parthiv Patel from the side when he missed a stumping and a catch against Australia four years back. He has still not made it back to the Indian team and here we cope with Kamran Akmal’s antics for reason only God and the PCB know.
6. Umar Akmal is a good find however the behaviour he showed when his brother was dropped from the Hobart test shows that our players are more inclined towards personal gains than team gains. We should look at the Australian side where Mark Waugh was dropped from the side when Steve Waugh was the captain and there was no change in the performance of the Australian side.
7. Umar Gul is an on/off sort of player and he needs to look after himself so he can play more for Pakistan.
8. Selectors must choose between Salman Butt and Imran Farhat. They have been given quite a number of chances and I feel that they don’t have the temperament to stay long on the crease. The PCB must decide which one of the two can serve Pakistan cricket better.
Hope Pakistan cricket takes a positive turn for the future.